Saturday, August 22, 2009

Heart's Desire Ch 9

Chapter 9

EPOV

“Stay. Please?”

I needed to feel her close to me for a little while longer. She paused at my request, her face displayed a slight hint of a conversation that was obviously taking place in her head; finally she asked. “Are you sure this isn’t uncomfortable, me lying on your shoulder like this?”

“I promise you this is the most comfortable I’ve been since the accident, please lay back down.” Maybe it was endorphins but I was speaking the truth, for the first time in almost two months I was pain free. But pain be damned, I would have gladly endured it just to have her lying by my side at that moment.

Her small body was such a contrast to my 6 foot plus frame, but we seemed to fit together perfectly. I held her close to me rubbing circles on her back while she did the same with the hand she had laying on my chest. I fought sleep for several minutes trying to take in every detail of this moment but when I heard her breathing change I knew she had gone to sleep and I could fight it no longer. After a couple of hours we were awaken when we heard the sound of the nurses in the halls beginning to make their nightly rounds.

“Eric, I really should go home now. I don’t know the nighttime staff like I do the day but I’m sure finding a hospital volunteer in bed with a patient wouldn’t go over well.”

I’ve never really given a flying fuck about other people’s thoughts or opinions, but this was Sookie’s town and I didn’t want to cause her any embarrassment or problems with the hospital, so I released my hold on her.

“I guess you’re right, will I see you tomorrow?”

“Yes, I have to work the lunch shift, but I will be here by supper time tomorrow.” She said while carefully getting up off the bed.

“OK, but don’t cook or bring anything for dinner, we’ll decide what to eat after you get here. Alright?”

“Alright, that’s fine. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Goodnight Sookie…and thank you.”

“Thank me? For what?”

“Just…thank you.”

“OK, well…you’re welcome. Good night Eric.” She gave my hand a squeeze before turning to walk out of the room.

“Sweet dreams.” She whispered just before the door closed behind her.

Sweet dreams indeed! I hoped my request for her to not worry about dinner did not raise any suspicions. She has given so much of her time and energy lately that I wanted to do something for her to show my appreciation and tonight the idea finally came to me. I would need help, but I was sure I could get Ms. Broadway’s assistance with my plan in the morning.

I closed my eyes and was almost back to sleep when the night nurse came in.

“Good evening Mr. Northman how are you tonight?”

“I am great.”

“Now that’s quite an improvement; the pain must be getting better.”

“Everything is getting better.” I said with probably a little too much enthusiasm.

“Well, I was just checking on you, call us if you need anything.”

“Actually, you can do something for me. Could you leave word for Ms. Broadway to come see me as soon as she gets in tomorrow morning?”

“Uh, sure.” She raised her eyebrows, obviously hoping for an explanation as to why I wanted to speak with her, but I’d never really gotten in the habit of justifying my actions to other people and I really didn’t plan to start now.

“Thanks. Have a good evening.” I said and closed my eyes effectively ending the conversation. I smiled when I realized I could still smell Sookie on my sheet and hospital gown, the sweet smell of summertime. I was back asleep in no time.

The next morning I woke when I heard the door to my room open and Ms. Broadway come in.

“Good morning Mr. Northman, you wanted to see me?”

“Good morning, please call me Eric.”

“Only if you will call me Amelia.”

“Deal.”

“Good, now what can I do for you this morning.”

“Amelia, I’m sure you are aware that Sookie and I have been spending a lot of time together. She has been bringing me meals, keeping me company and in short has been preventing me from losing my mind. I want to do something for her. You know, just something to say thank you.”

“Eric, I’m sure you know Sookie well enough by now to know that she has not done any of this expecting anything in return.”

“I know that. But it doesn’t stop me from wanting to do something for her anyway.”

“I don’t know Eric, I’m already a little worried about how attached Sookie seems to be to you, I’m not so sure this is a good idea.” Sookie’s attached to me?Hmmm

OK, this was not the reaction I was expecting. I found it refreshing that she was voicing opposition to my plan, that’s not something that I have experienced often in my adult life. Her devotion to her friend was admirable, but it was not going to deter me from my plan. I just needed to convince her that my intentions were honorable.

“Amelia, I understand you’re looking out for Sookie and that you care for her. So do I. I just want to do something for her to show that I appreciate all she has done for me. Will you help me?”

“OK, but if you hurt her, inability to walk won’t be your only handicap, capiche?”

“Capiche!” I smiled and filled her in on my plan.

SPOV

I was grateful Eric didn’t want me to cook something for dinner tonight because frankly I needed a break. I loved cooking for him, but I had been spending so much time at the hospital lately that I was neglecting other responsibilities. This would give me a little bit of time to take care of some of those exciting things like laundry, house cleaning and mowing the lawn. Whoo Hoo Party On!

My shift at work was without incident, and on most days is the best you can hope for. Dawn had asked me to cover her shift for the next two days which would mean dreaded doubles for me, but honestly I needed the money so I was more than willing to agree.

“Thanks Sookie, you’re the best. I swear I’ll make it up to you.”

“Don’t worry about it Dawn, I could use the extra cash this month, its fine.”

I was gathering my things getting ready to leave around 3:00 when Sam walked in to the office.

“Hey Sook, Terry is covering the bar tonight and I’m having a few folks over later this evening, care to join us?”

“Oh, thanks Sam, but I think I will have to pass, I’ve already made plans for the evening, but thanks for thinking of me.”

“No problem, you know where we are if you change your mind.” He said as he was leaving to return to the bar.

Sam really did throw a pretty mean party and I rarely missed one, but tonight I was happy to forego the fun for my own private ‘get together’. I had gotten to where I really looked forward to my time with Eric. I found myself thinking about him more and more. I knew I shouldn’t. I knew soon he would be well enough to leave and return to Shreveport and I’d still be here and Bon Temp and I knew I no reason to believe he had any feelings for me. I knew all these things with my head, but convincing my heart was a different story.

I got home from work and once I discovered Amelia had taken care of some of my laundry, I decided to cut the grass before the neighbors started to complain about the jungle that was growing in my front yard. By 4:30 I was done and jumping in the shower to get ready for my evening.

The temperature outside was still rather warm when I got out of the shower, so I decided to wear a sundress. Sookie, girl you’ve got it bad if you’re giving up your rays for those blue eyes. My tan had faded quite a bit over the last couple of weeks, but it was still early in the season, there would be plenty of time for that later. I knew I’d get it back.

It was almost 6:00 by the time I got in the car to leave for the hospital. I almost picked up the phone to call Eric and see what he wanted me to grab for dinner so I wouldn’t have to leave once I got there, but I decided against it.

I had just rounded the corner on the hall to Eric’s room when I saw Amelia coming toward me.

“Hey Sook, you look nice this evening. Hot date?” She asked grinning.

“Funny chic. I’m just spending the evening with Eric, nothing special.” I knew Amelia’s stance on getting attached to the patients, so I tried to downplay anything I might be feeling when the topic was Eric.

She rolled her eyes. “OK whatever; just don’t do anything I wouldn’t do.”

“Well shit Amelia, no sense in both of us not having any fun.” She laughed, gave me a quick hug and headed off down the hall.

I got to Eric’s room and knocked gently on the door.

“Come in.”

When I opened the door I was taken aback to find the room dark. I pulled back the privacy curtain and ….

“Eric, what have you done?”

“Hello, Beautiful.”

TBC