Saturday, August 22, 2009

Heart's Desire Ch 4

Chapter 4

I couldn’t help but be in a good mood for the rest of the day. I doubted Eric was ready to add me to his Christmas card list yet, but at least I didn’t feel like he was completely repulsed by me any more. It was a start.

The next couple of days were pretty much the same; I came in each day around noon and we sat in silence for most of our time together but every day the tension between us was getting less significant. After a few days I was even greeted with a “hello” when I arrived and a “good bye” and “thank you” when I was ready to leave. We were slowly making progress.

On Tuesday when I arrived, I was shocked to see the large contraption over his bed had been replaced by a much smaller, less intimidating structure. His shoulder, that had been strapped and suspended previously, was now plaster free and the only remaining traction were on his legs.

“Well, look at you.” I said. “When did you upgrade to the newer, sleeker, more compact, torture chamber?”

Eric was grinning from ear to ear. “They came in yesterday afternoon and said it was time to begin physical therapy on my shoulder and arms. The first stage was to get me out of that apparatus so I could start moving a little.”

“So, how does it feel, can you tell any difference yet?” I asked while I was uncovering his lunch.

“It feels great! I mean, I really can’t move it any yet…but just having my arm back down by my side…well I really can’t explain it, it’s just been so long in that thing.”

“How long have you been here anyway?” Immediately, I knew I had asked the wrong thing. All the excitement in his face faded and the blank stare returned.

“Four weeks, but I really don’t want to talk about it.”

“No problem, I understand.” I quickly changed the subject not wanting his mood to spiral down any further. “How do you feel about meatloaf, because that’s apparently the kitchen Nazi’s weapon of choice today?”

He groaned while a small smile returned to his face. “Great. Remove one torture, just to replace it with another.”

Sarcasm, that’s good. I’ll take sarcasm over sullen any day. He had a point though; the food they served lately, while probably nutritious, was definitely not appetizing. That gave me an idea.

“Eric, can I ask you a question?” I saw him stiffen some.

“Go ahead.” He responded somewhat warily.

“OK look, the food they serve here is crap, and I have been told I am a pretty good cook, so I was wondering if you would let me cook for you and bring it to you tomorrow?” I gathered from the look on his face that this was probably the last question he expected me to ask.

“If you don’t want me to, I understand. I just thought it might me nice to have a home cooked meal for a change.” I could feel myself getting a little self conscious and right away I wished I had never made the suggestion. I began to back peddle. “Just forget it ok, forget I asked, I didn’t mean to …”

“No.” He cut me off.

“I would appreciate a home cooked meal. That sounds nice. I was just surprised by the question, that’s all.”

“Fine then, tomorrow I will bring lunch. Do you have any preferences or allergies I should know about?”

“No, I will eat just about anything and apparently my only allergies are to whatever comes out of the Bon Temp Hospital kitchen.”

“Great, lunch tomorrow it is!”

Without much further conversation, he finished his lunch and I cleared everything away while I was already mentally preparing tomorrow’s menu and deciding what I needed to pick up from the store. If I was going to make it to the store and get the groceries home before having to get to work for the evening shift, I was going to have to get a move on. I quickly finished my hospital responsibilities and headed to the store.

I considered a couple of classic Louisiana dishes that I have received accolades for such as gumbo or étouffée, but everyone reacts differently to spicy dishes and having an adverse gastric reaction while laid up in traction may not be a smart move. I decided he had probably had enough trauma recently, I would do something Italian. Getting parmesan chicken that did not taste like Chef-Boyardee might be a welcome change for him.

I hurried home from the store and quickly put the ingredients away, changed clothes and got to work just in time to start the dinner shift.

The next morning I rose early again, well early for me, and started preparing the meal. When everything was done, I gathered it all up and put it in the picnic basket that Amelia loaned me. She and Trey, her latest flame, were always going on little day trips and she would often pack them romantic meals for their journey, so she offered the use of her basket when I told her what my plans were.

I was cutting it close to lunch time when I arrived at the hospital. Tara had been released a couple of days ago, but she was still there every day spending time with little Nava biding her time until she was strong enough to go home. The hospital only allowed one visitor at a time in the Neo Natal Unit, so anytime I spent up there took time away from Tara and while I wanted to see the baby, Tara deserved every minute she could get with her. So I didn’t feel guilty about going straight to Eric’s room. I had already notified the kitchen staff that he would not need lunch for that day. The hospital really doesn’t monitor what a patient eats for someone in Eric’s condition, but there was no need to waste food. Even as bad as that food was.

I was greeted with a smile from Eric when I walked in.

“Order for Northman from Stackhouse Café coming right up.” I joked. “I hope you’re hungry.”

“Famished.” He said.

“Good. I’ve brought chicken parmigiana, roasted potatoes with peppers and onions, salad with homemade Italian dressing, dessert, oh and of course… sweet tea.” I said while pulling all of the items out of the basket.

“Does that sound ok to you?”

“Ms. Stackhouse, that sounds perfect.” He said with a huge smile and for the first time since our first day, his beautiful sapphire eyes were sparkling again. Focus Sookie, focus.

I pulled everything out and sat down beside him to give him his first bite.

“You’re not eating too?” He asked

“Oh, umm.” I was surprised by the question. “No, I brought this for you.” He opened his mouth as if to say something but seemed to reconsider and took another bite of chicken I had offered him.

After he had eaten for a few minutes I asked, “How is it? Is everything ok?”

“Sookie, it’s wonderful!” Did he just call me Sookie? “I don’t think I have ever tasted anything so good in my life.”

“Well, it just goes to show, feed a man dog food and roof shingles for a few weeks and he’ll think anything is good.”

“No, I’m serious Sookie, this is great. Besides I’ve only been on that hospital excuse for food for a little over a week now.” A week?

“But you said yesterday that you had been here for 4 weeks.” I hoped he was not going to be upset by me recalling his comment that so obviously disturbed him yesterday.

“I was in a coma most of that time.” He stated very somberly. I waited for him to continue, but he didn’t. I resumed feeding him in silence for a few minutes and soon his face returned to a more relaxed state and I felt safe to speak again.

“So how is physical therapy going?” I asked, hoping this was a safe topic to bring up.

“Not, bad. It’s painful, but necessary if ever want to feed myself again.”

For a split second, a small tinge of sadness flitted across my mind. I was truly excited for him and I in no way wanted him dependent on me forever, but the tiniest part of me liked feeling needed by him. Sookie, chic you could really benefit from professional help!

“Well, I’m sure it will get better as time goes on, you hang in there. Now, what would you like for lunch tomorrow?”

“Sookie, this has been wonderful, but you don’t need to bring me lunch everyday.”

“Oh, I know that, and some days I won’t be able too, but tomorrow I can so what would you like?”

“Well since you’re asking, do you know how to make gumbo?”

I stifled a laugh. “You know, I considered making that for you today, but mine is not for the faint of heart and I was afraid it would be too spicy for you.”

“No such thing as too spicy.” He stated with a big grin.

I was amazed at the impact his recovery milestone was having on his outlook and demeanor. I liked it! A lot.

“Well, now Mr. Northman, that sounds like a challenge and while I’m sure you are heavily medicated over there, even you should realize the danger in challenging a Louisiana born and bred cook to anything related to gumbo.”

“Do your worst woman! I can take it!” He said and then broke in to the most gorgeous laugh I have ever heard. I doubt angels singing could sound any better than the sound of his laughter.

“Alright, but don’t say I didn’t warn you. Now are you ready for tiramisu?”

“Tiramisu? Sookie, I can’t believe you went to all this trouble for me. I just…well anyway, thank you. It was really nice of you.”

“I enjoyed it. Really. I don’t get the chance to cook very often anymore and I honestly enjoy it. It’s kinda like therapy for me. So, you’re welcome.”

I started cleaning up noticing how late it was getting. Before, when we weren’t talking during his lunches, it usually only took 15 to 20 minutes for him to eat, but today I had already been there for an hour and a half and he was just finishing dessert. Fortunately I did not need to go to the store today; I always had the necessary ingredients for gumbo at the house so I was going to get home just in time to change and head to work.

When I arrived at the hospital with lunch in tow the next day I was greeted by Helen standing outside of Eric’s door. Helen was a saint and had worked at the hospital for as long as I could remember. I recalled her being there even when I was a child and had gone to the emergency room to get my wrist checked out after taking a bad fall, if by fall you mean your older brother pushing you, out of a tree. She had worked at the registration desk back then but now she was responsible for “spreading cheer and sunshine” as she liked to say.

“Good afternoon Mrs. Helen, if you have any flowers there for Mr. Northman, I’d be happy to take them to him. I’m heading in there right now.”

“Well, I usually just take his flowers to the nurses’s desk.”

“Nonsense, Mrs. Helen, I will take them to him, just show me which ones are his.” She pointed to the large bouquet of brightly colored daisies.

“Sookie, are you sure…”

I didn’t want to be rude, but now my arms were full and things were beginning to get heavy. “Its fine Mrs. Helen, I’ll take care of them, you have a good afternoon.”

I opened the door. “Knock; knock, is it OK for me to come in.” Privacy is precious at the hospital, with nurses coming in at all hours of the day and night; I wanted to make sure he was expecting me at that particular moment.

“Any time.” He replied. Did he just flirt with me? My, my how far we’ve come.

“How are you feeling today?” I said as I rounded the corner.

“Pretty good, how about…” and he stopped. As soon as his eyes fell on the flowers,‘happy Eric’ disappeared.

“Sookie, I don’t want any flowers, please give them to someone else.” He said quite sternly.

“Oh, Eric” I laughed; he must have thought I was giving him flowers. “Someone else sent these to you, I’m just delivering them.”

“I don’t care who is sending them, I want them out of here. Please? Now!”

“I don’t understand, are you allergic or something? Don’t you at least want to know who sent them to you?”

“No, I am not allergic and I don’t give a damn who is sending them! I WANT THEM OUT OF HERE NOW!” He was really getting worked up at this point.

“I’m sorry Eric, I didn’t mean to upset you; I will take them out.”

“Just give them to Ms. Broadway, ask her to do with these the same thing she has done with all the others.”

I placed the picnic basket on his table and quickly exited the room with the flowers. I found Amelia down the hall at the nurses’ desk.

“Amelia, these flowers were delivered to Eric, but he says I am to give them to you to do with whatever it is you do with them?”

“Eric, huh? Getting a little chummy with the patients are we?” I thought she was going to bust my chops for me referring to him as Eric, but thankfully she was too busy to torment me on the subject today.

“I’ll take them.” She said. “Mr. Northman doesn’t like flowers, every arrangement that has been sent to him has been taken somewhere else in the hospital, usually to someone who’s alone without friends or family or to the children’s ward, you can never have too many flowers down there. I keep the cards from the arrangements; he says he doesn’t want them, but in case he changes his mind, they’ll be here.”

“So what’s up with that? I mean he says he’s not allergic. Who doesn’t like flowers, especially daisies?”

“I don’t know Sookie, you learn after working here awhile to just honor the patient’s wishes if possible and not to ask too many questions. The last thing you can afford is to get too attached to a patient. Worst case, they’re going to die. Best case, they’re going to go home. Either way, they are going to leave you.” Ouch. Why did that hurt?

I hurried back down the hall to Eric’s room.

“Eric, I’m so sorry…” He cut me off. “Just drop it; I don’t want to discuss it.” He said still somewhat curt, but at least his voice had retuned to a normal level.

“OK, how about lunch then?” I attempted to smile, but then tension in the room was as thick as the first day we met. I don’t know how, but apparently I have mad skills when it comes to finding things that will set him off. I tried really hard to act normal, like nothing happened, but he seemed to have retreated back to that place in his head that he some times disappears to. I just hoped he would come back soon.

We sat in silence for the remainder of our time together. When I got up to leave, he told me the thank you for the meal and how good it was. He was polite, but still distant.

The next day was Friday and I had a double shift for both that day and the next, so I was not going to make it back to the hospital for at least a couple of days. I made sure to tell Amelia my schedule so she could make sure Eric was taken care of. She was going to be off for the weekend as well, but she had passed the word on the volunteer supervisor. I had agreed to switch shifts with one of the new girls on Sunday, so I worked the lunch shift and was off for the evening and the next two days. I was tired when I left Merlotte’s and had not planned to go to the hospital, but I hadn’t seen Eric in a few days and honestly I missed him. You what?

I arrived at the hospital with perfect timing; they were just beginning to pull the dinner trays out. I saw Karen, another volunteer in the hall and told her I would take care of feeding Eric. She seemed very happy with that suggestion; I guessed this was not one of her favorite task. I grabbed his tray and knocked on the door.

“Come in.” He said in a tone that was impossible to determine his mood from.

“Did somebody order dog food on a shingle?” I said as I rounded the corner.

“You came back?” He said with a face that was somewhere between shock and happiness.

“Of course I came back. I’ve just had to work the last couple of days. Wait. Did you miss me?”

“I…um…”

TBC