Saturday, August 22, 2009

Heart's Desire Ch 16

Chapter 16

SPOV

“Sookie relax. Let’s get inside, I’ll show you around and then we’ll sit down and I’ll tell you everything you want to know.”

His arm squeezed my shoulder as he kissed my forehead in an attempt to quell the panic that was threatening to consume me. OK, there had been hints, I mean I knew he owned his own company and on more than one occasion he had indicated that money was not a concern, right…but this? He never hinted anything like this.

As the car made the slight turn and came to a stop in front of the … hell what do you call this? An estate? A mansion? For a second I thought we had taken a wrong turn and wound up at a resort somewhere. Then Eric, with his understated way with words, says… “welcome to my home.” My home? Yeah, this was a home in much the same way Lake Michigan was a ‘little swimming hole’.

“Breathe Sookie.” He said still trying to get me to relax.

Yeah Sookie, breathe! It’s just a house for piss sake. Once I allowed my inner voice to slap me upside the head I began to calm down. It was just a house. A big beautiful house the likes of which I thought only existed in pictures in magazines. From the little I knew about architecture, the style was probably best described as Mediterranean with blonde stone and terra cotta brick roof. The entrance to the main portion of the house was a beautiful arched doorway with huge door that looked to be made of walnut and was flanked by columns. Above the doorway was a balcony lined by columns reaching to the roof of the home. I couldn’t help but wonder what room opened to that balcony.

Attached on either side of the main section were smaller wings of the building, although not much smaller, that angled forward much like arms. This stately house seemed to be offering a hug.

Now that I was over the initial shock of seeing the house, I could feel the excitement growing in me to see the inside. About that time, Clancy came around and opened the door of the car.

“Sookie.” Eric said while motioning me to go first as Clancy extended his hand to help me exit the car. I grabbed the wheelchair Clancy had pulled from the trunk to get it in position while he assisted Eric getting out of the car. I was surprised at how much easier Eric was able to maneuver around and for the first time today, noticed that his braces were no longer on his legs.

“Eric, what happened to your braces?”

“Very observant Stackhouse, I’ve been with you for almost two hours and you’re just now noticing?” He smirked while sitting down in the wheel chair.

Good grief, I had been so taken in by the car and everything else that I had completely failed to notice something as big as his braces were gone. What was my problem?

“Sorry Eric, I guess I was otherwise distracted.” I half heartedly apologized as I recalled what it was that distracted me and then blushed when I remembered Clancy was still standing there with us.

Clancy proceeded to push Eric toward the house when I stopped him.

“I’ll take him.”

Clancy leaned down to Eric’s side to seek his approval before relinquishing control of the wheelchair.

“It’s OK Clancy. You grab the bags and get the door for us.” Eric reassured him. I couldn’t decide if I was grateful that Eric had someone so clearly looking out for him or if I was offended that Clancy didn’t trust me but I chose not to dwell on it right now.

I pushed Eric to the ramp that had been constructed over the three steps that led to his front door. By the time we reached the door Clancy already had it opened and the bags where placed inside. I pushed Eric through the door and was excited to see the inside of the house was even more remarkable than the outside.

The open foyer was astounding with limestone flooring that was buffed to a brilliant shine. To the right was a sweeping staircase lined with iron railings with ornate swirl patterns that lead to the upper floors. Straight ahead through a huge archway was a sitting area whose back wall was all glass revealing an open air seating area on the other side. Honesty it was too much to take in all at once.

Just past the stairway on the right was a door that led to the library. I was in heaven. The smell was unmistakable, reminding me of all the endless hours I had spent at the library back home. Each wall had floor to ceiling shelves and each shelf was completely full of books, nothing more could be added without taking something else away. The dark wood and smaller windows in the room were a sharp contrast to the décor of the rest of the house. At least the parts I had seen so far. Along the back wall, positioned in front of the bookshelves between the two small windows, was a long table with those green banker’s lamps like you would see in some Ivy League college library on it. A leather couch and two leather chairs with a small end table was the only other furniture in the room.

As we were turning to leave the room I noticed a small spiral staircase in the corner by the door we had entered.

“Where does this lead?” I said standing at the bottom of the staircase.

“That goes to my private office. I suppose it will be a little while longer before I can work from up there. You can go up and look if you would like.” He grinned, obviously enjoying showing off his home.

Curiosity got the best of me and I kissed him on the cheek before quickly zipping up the steps to take a look around.

The smaller room upstairs was furnished with the same dark wood with the exception of the desk that was made of a lighter wood that provided a nice yet masculine accent. The double tray ceilings gave the space a more height while maintaining an intimate feel. Standing there I found myself oddly turned on by just being in the room. I composed myself and headed back down the steps to rejoin Eric.

“So what did you think?” He asked somewhat anxiously when I returned.

I took my place behind his wheelchair then leaned down and whispered in his ear.

“Executive Northman is getting sexier and sexier”. The words had barely left my mouth before a strong arm snaked around and captured me just above my waist and pulled me into the chair with him.

“I would look out for Executive Northman if I were you; I’ve heard some of the plans he has for you in his office later.”

His words immediately made my panties wet. I could picture walking in to his office, him sitting at his desk with his glasses on, giving hell to whoever had the misfortune of being on the other end of the line. I walk over and take a seat on the corner of his desk and without even looking my direction he takes my leg, lifts it up and places my foot on the arm of his chair. The cold air touches my warm center that is now open and exposed. Eric reaches over my leg, tucking it under his arm to give himself better access. I gasp as his finger makes contact gently rubbing up and down my opening, pausing only at the top to rub tiny circles around my now growing nub before making its way back down. Slowly he parts my folds and continues the motion spreading my wetness the length of my slit. As his phone conversation gets more heated, so do I. Suddenly he dips a finger inside then removes it and brings it to his mouth to taste never disrupting his conversation.

“Sookie?...Sookie?” Eric said gently shaking me out of my daydream.

“Love, do you mind telling me where you disappeared to just now?” He asked sporting that sexy smirk.

“I’m sorry Eric; I was back in the office with Executive Northman.” I gave a smirk of my own.

“Really? And what pray tell were you doing with Executive Northman in the office, if you don’t mind my asking?” He said nuzzling my neck below my ear.

“I’m sorry, I can’t reveal that.” I said while kissing his neck and gently sucking on his earlobe. “Executive Northman will just have to hurry up and recover enough to meet me up there and find out.” Eric moaned and shifted in his seat.

“Well, you my dear Sookie have just provided me with the only motivation I need for a full recovery.” He cupped my face in his hands and kissed me tenderly before I climbed off of his lap to continue the tour.

“Now, let me show you the kitchen.”

“Perfect.” I said. “You’re probably getting hungry by now. If you have any groceries in the house I can go ahead and whip us up something for lunch.”

“That won’t be necessary; Mrs. Hadley will be here shortly to prepare our lunch.” I stopped pushing his chair and knelt down beside him.

“Eric, you don’t need to pay someone to cook while I’m here. You know I don’t mind cooking for you, it will give me something to do while I’m here and save you some money as well.” For a reason unknown to me at the time, Eric began to chuckle.

“Sookie, you know I love your cooking and I appreciate you trying to save me money, but Mrs. Hadley has been my cook and housekeeper for several years now and I can assure you she is quite dependant on her job. Besides, technically you are on vacation and I want you to have as much time as possible enjoying your time off. OK?”

“Oh Eric, I’m sorry, I certainly didn’t mean to imply you fire anybody. I guess I just never thought about you already having someone do these things for you. I guess I just thought it would be part of what I did while I was here. Now I’m not sure what I’m going to do to keep myself busy.”

“Well I was under the impression that the point of a vacation was NOT to keep yourself busy, but like I said there’s the pool. I know you love to read so I’m pretty sure you can find something to interest you in the library. I have a theater room, so we can watch movies including first runs and then I have a few other ideas to keep you occupied.” He said while raising one eyebrow.

“Well, I may hold you to that Northman.”

“I’m counting on it Stackhouse.”

I followed Eric’s directions and pushed him into the kitchen where we were greeted by a short, just slightly plump lady who appeared to be in her upper 50’s or early 60’s. As soon as she registered our presence she began to squeal, a sound I would have expected to find disturbing coming from someone of her age, had her compassion for Eric not been so apparent on her face.

She ran over to him an engulfed him in a hug. “Mr. Eric, I am so glad you’re home, we have missed you somethin’ terrible ‘round here.” Here country upbringing noticeable in her speech. “I was so sorry to hear about Ms. Pam and Mr. Bill, I know you must be torn up, it’s just not going to be the same around her without them.” I could see the tears beginning to pool in Eric’s eyes and I knew he was going to have to learn to handle these comments, but I wanted nothing more than to make his pain stop.

“Mrs. Hadley what is that wonderful aroma I smell?” I said, trying to redirect the conversation. She looked at me a little quizzically then answered.

“I’m baking some fresh bread to serve with Mr. Eric’s lunch; will you be joining him today?” And although she was staring at me intently as if trying to read my every emotion and intent, there didn’t appear to be any aggression in her question.

Eric reached for my hand and whether it was for my reassurance or a silent thank you, he gave it a gentle squeeze.

“Mrs. Hadley, let me introduce my girlfriend. This is Ms. Sookie Stackhouse. She will be staying with us for a while. Sookie this is Mrs. Hadley, she makes sure my house is presentable when people come and I am presentable when I leave.” I watched Mrs. Hadley’s expression go from shock when he said “girlfriend”, to genuine happiness just a moment later.

“Welcome Ms. Stackhouse. You must be the young lady who was taking such good care of our boy here while he was away.”

I wasn’t sure how she would have heard anything about me, but I smiled anyway.

“Well I did my best, but please call me Sookie.”

“Ms. Sookie it is. Well, I’m just glad he had someone with him and he didn’t have to go through all that alone.” I could feel the tears beginning to well in my eyes now. Eric squeezed my hand again as she continued.

“Please tell me he received all those flowers we sent him while he was gone.” I could see Eric beginning to squirm in his chair and this time it was me that gave the reassuring squeeze to his hand.

“Yes he did and they were very beautiful.” I wasn’t lying, the ones I saw were very beautiful but I did make a mental note to talk to Eric about this later.

“Yes, thank you very much, that was very sweet of you.” Eric added after giving me a slight nod. “Now, we’re going to continue our tour, but Mrs. Hadley after lunch if I could get you to make sure the large guest room upstairs is made up and show Ms. Stackhouse around up there I would appreciate it. Obviously I can’t make that trip just yet.”

I admit I was surprised by this request. I assumed following our conversation earlier in the car that I would be staying in his room but apparently he had changed his mind.

“The room is ready, but I would be glad to show her around up there.”

“Great, we’re going to get out of your way while you finish lunch, just let us know when it’s ready.” Eric said grabbing the wheels to his chair to turn it around.

“I will. Would you like to eat out on the lanai today?”

“That sounds great, thank you Mrs. Hadley.” And we made our way out of the kitchen.

Eric showed me around the rest of the downstairs with the exception of his room, which he said we’d look at later.

We settled down in one of the open air sitting areas. I was unclear whether it was considered indoors or out. The room was decorated like any other den or living area in beautiful shades of cream and tan. The room had a fireplace and was completely enclosed with the exception of the entire back wall that had huge open archways that led outside.

“Eric are we indoors or out right now? I’m confused.” I had given up on trying to act like this wasn’t all completely new to me.

Eric laughed. “Well technically, we’d probably be considered outside as these spaces are usually referred to as “outdoor living areas”, but at the push of a button screens or panels can come down to close this area off from the elements making it inside.” Well thanks for clearing that up.

“So, what do you think?” He asked while I took a seat in the chair beside him.

“Eric, it’s beautiful, more than a little overwhelming, but definitely beautiful.” He was grinning from ear to ear.

“I was hoping you would like it, it took awhile to dream up the design, but I think it was worth it.”

“Did you design this house yourself?”

“Yep, designed it and oversaw every phase of its construction. Pam did help with the decorating though.”

“Eric, I don’t know what to say. I’m just blown away right now.”

He took my hand and pulled it to his lips and gently kissed the palm of my hand.

“I can tell you have a lot of questions, so why don’t you start asking me whatever it is that you want to know.”

“OK. Um…well how do you afford all this? I mean…what do you do for a living?”

“Well first of all, very little of my wealth comes from my salary. As a matter of fact, practically all of my salary is donated to charity each year. Most of this,” he said while waving his hand around to indicate his surroundings, “is from what some would call old money and investments.” He paused looking at me as if trying to gauge my reaction.

“My grandparents on both my mother and father’s side of the family were extremely wealthy. The wealth from my mother’s side of the family came from oil, while my father’s from publishing. While my father was still in college he found he had a passion and a knack for business and finance so after graduation he began purchasing companies that were in trouble financially, got them back on track and then sold them. Occasionally he would run across a company that held his interest and once it was profitable again he would keep it rather than sell it. Both of my parents were only children as were their parents therefore the wealth has never really been divided until Pam and I came along. And well now…I guess…” Eric stopped talking for a minute to wipe his eyes and then continued on without finishing his last sentence.

“I guess I took after my dad in that I like to find companies that are on the verge of collapse, turn them around and usually I sell them, but I have been known to hold on to one or two of them myself.”

“What if you can’t turn it around?” I asked trying to fully understand what he was explaining to me.

“Well, honestly I try very hard not to purchase a company I don’t think I can repair, but if it does happen, then we take the company apart and sell the pieces. Quite often it’s more profitable to do it that way, but I try to think about the employees of the company and the jobs that would be lost if the company were to close. I strive to always remember there is a life and usually several lives, behind all of those numbers.”

“Wow! And here I just thought you were some hot shot real estate agent.” Eric got a puzzled look on his face and then he remembered.

“I’m sorry about not being clearer with my answer that day, but you and I had just started communicating and I wasn’t quite ready reveal everything about my life yet. At that time part of me still thought you probably knew who I was. But to be fair, I do own a real estate company.” He grinned.

“Yeah, yeah, whatever. So what is your college background? I know you went to Harvard.”

“That’s right, I have Master’s in both Business and Design. The Business degree I got for obvious reasons, but the degree in Architecture I got because I enjoyed it. I found it to be therapeutic for me. Pam graduated with a degree in Business as well as a law degree.”

“Whoa. No wonder you were put out by me being a waitress.” I probably had more bite to my words than I should have but damn it I was feeling more than a little self conscious right now.

“Sookie!” He scolded. “I was never ‘put out’ as you put it, by you being a waitress. I could give a flying fuck what you do for a living as long as you’re happy doing it! The problem is that I don’t think being a waitress makes you happy. I believe you are an extremely intelligent woman who’s capable of doing anything you set your mind to but circumstances have kept you where you are now.”

“Yeah well, not everybody has the luxury of being born with a silver spoon in their mouth.” I couldn’t help my tone; my pride had reared its ugly head and was getting the best of me.

“Listen Sookie, I realize I was born into to a life of privilege. And don’t think for one second that I take that for granted. I know my life has been blessed even with the loss of my parents and now Pam, I still consider myself fortunate. I take care of my people. I’m damn good to my employees and to the employees of the companies I buy out. I’m active in my community and I give back in any way I can. But just as I don’t look negatively on you for being born into your circumstances, I would hope you would extend me the same courtesy.”

I could tell he was deeply hurt by my comment. It’s just all this was way too much to take in at once for a small town southern girl like me. But he was right, although unintentionally, I had judged him negatively for his wealth. Good Lord, how messed up is that?

“Eric, please forgive me. I know you’re a good person. I wouldn’t have come to stay with you if I didn’t believe that. But this has been a lot to take in today. To say I’m overwhelmed is an understatement. You know… you could have broken some of this to me sooner, it might would have made things easier to take today.”

“Honestly, part of me was afraid if you knew, you wouldn’t come stay with me and the other part enjoyed the fact that you had no idea about my wealth or who I was.”

“Why…why would you enjoy me no knowing something like that.” Was he crazy? Why would he want to hide that information?

“Because Sookie…you cared about me before you knew who I was or how much I was worth. I don’t think you understand how difficult it is to never know if someone likes you for you or for your money. I will never have to wonder about you because you cared before you knew.”

I had never considered that before. Never being sure of who your true friends were would be a hellava way to go through life. I was still pondering what he had said when Mrs. Hadley came to the doorway.

“Lunch has been set up in the outside dining area, whenever you’re ready Mr. Eric.”

“Thank you Mrs. Hadley, we’ll be right there.”

“Ms. Stackhouse, would you care to join me for lunch?”

“Mr. Northman, I would be delighted.”

TBC