Thursday, August 6, 2009

Be Mine

“What are you so chipper about this morning?” Amelia asked somewhat stunned by my cheerful entrance into the kitchen much earlier than usual. Keeping up with the vampires in my life had drastically altered my internal clock; unless I had the lunch shift at Merlotte’s, I hardly rose before noon any more.

Grateful that my witch housemate was an early riser and already had the coffee brewing, I poured myself a cup before responding. “Why I’m sure I don’t know what you mean.” I replied in my best Scarlett O’Hara voice.

“Sook, you’re never up this early and if you are you sure as hell ain’t happy about it. You know I’ve been working on a new truth spell, do we need to try it out?” Her lips turned up in a sly grin.

My body released a small shudder as memories of Bob crossed my mind. Being one of Amelia’s test subjects could have less than desirable results. “Hmm…uh, no thanks, I’ll pass”. I put a bagel in the toaster and went to the frig for cream cheese. “I’m just happy, that’s all”. I caught my bagel as it shot from my old toaster with a loud ‘pop’. I really need to replace that thing before it propels my pop tarts across the cemetery to Bill’s one morning. I sat down at the table and began spreading cream cheese on my perfectly torched bagel. Yep, that toaster is history.

“So, what has you so happy?” Amelia jumped down from her perch on the counter and joined me at the table.

“Well, if you must know, I have a date for Valentine’s Day! And while I realize that may be no big deal to you, I’ve never had one before so I’m just a little excited about it.”

“Sookie, that’s great, who’s the lucky guy?” She smirked. Witch. She knew Eric and I had been seeing each other for the last few weeks, although not very often. He had come by shortly after Felipe and his entourage had returned to New Orleans; we talked and agreed to attempt dating for awhile and see where it took us. I was surprised by Eric’s willingness to agree to such a human tradition but he was still quite busy proving his loyalty to the new regime, and I was still trying to reconcile this Eric with ‘my Eric’, so it seemed like a reasonable compromise for now. That decision alone seemed to put my mind at ease, it seemed the less I resisted Eric, the more comfort I took in the connection we shared through the bond.

“Very funny” I said trying to match her sarcasm. “Seriously, I want tonight to be memorable; would you go shopping with me? I want to hit the mall in Shreveport and maybe even Tara’s to find the perfect outfit.”

“Sure sounds like fun, we’ve not gone shopping for awhile it will be great to spend some time together”.

We cleaned the breakfast dishes and got ready to leave. We were in the car and on the road to Shreveport in record time, both of us glad to have some quality girl time together. We shopped for a couple of hours and I found the perfect hot pink dress to wear for the evening with complimenting shoes. We stopped in at a new lingerie shop that was having their grand opening sale and I snagged a cute bra and panty (if another word for ‘swatch’ is panty) set that matched perfectly. Thrilled with my purchases, I suggested we take the rest of the afternoon and get a little pampering. We were able to walk right in and get appointments for manicures and the works at one of the nail salons in the mall and we were doing so well on time I was able to squeeze in a tanning session. Girls gotta take care of her tan.

“So, where is Mr. Tall, Blonde and Breathless taking you this evening?” Amelia asked while mulling over what color polish to select.

“He wouldn’t tell me, he wants it to be a surprise. All I know is that I am to meet him at Fangtasia at 7:00.”

“Wow, Fangtasia? He knows how to plan a good time doesn’t he?”

“No, smartass! It’s Valentine’s Day, they have a big night planned at the bar and he needs to make an appearance for a little while before we start our evening.” Amelia snickered knowing she had pushed just the right button to get a reaction out of me.

We finished up at the mall and headed back to Bon Temps; it was still early so I had time to soak in the tub and leisurely get ready before heading to back to Shreveport. I was really putting the miles on my Malibu today, but I was sure tonight would be worth it.

I arrived a little before 7:00, early by bar standards but Fangtasia already had a large crowd inside and more waiting at the door. Pam greeted me at the front entrance, “Sookie love, you look so tasty all pretty in pink.”

“Thanks, Pam, is he in the office?”

“Oh no, not tonight; he’s sitting up on his throne in all his glory tonight.” She rolled her eyes and continued “He’s been running around giddy as a school girl for the last two nights. I don’t know what he has planned for this evening, but it has him wound a little tight.”

Great,exactly what does that mean? Pam led me in and up to the bar and before my eyes could adjust to the change in lighting, he was there. Pressed gently up against my back with his mouth just behind my ear Eric whispered “Lover, you look absolutely delectable this evening.” What was it with vampires describing me like a buffet? If it were any other vamps, I would wonder if I was going to dinner or if was going to be dinner tonight.

“Thanks Eric, you look quite handsome yourself.” He grinned and raised an eyebrow. Bless his heart; I hope one day he will get over his inferiority complex.

“Come, sit with me on stage.”

Oh I don’t think so, I just bought this dress, I’m not about to have it ripped up by some jealous Fangbangin’ Hoochie. “Eric, you go ahead and do your time on your throne, I really don’t want to start this evening having to fend off evil thoughts. I’ll sit at your table and catch up with Pam for awhile, if that’s OK with you.”

I could tell he was not happy with my suggestion but he decided not to push the issue. He got me a gin and tonic and led me to his table, then gave me a gentle hug and kissed me lightly on the forehead. Oh man he was working it tonight. I was really beginning to get a little nervous about his plans for the evening. He wasn’t being his usual ‘grab me like a caveman, rush me back to his office to have his way with me’ self; no, he was being…what’s the word?...romantic! He held me there for several moments just taking in my scent, which was fine with me because I was inhaling as deeply as I could while still remaining ladylike myself. I was almost already on sensory overload and it was only 7:15, how was I going to survive the night?

“Lover, I promise we will stay not one minute longer than we need to tonight. I want this to be a special evening for you.”

I pushed him toward the front, “You go, do your thing; I’ll be fine.” He raised his eyebrows and started to say something, but again refrained, turned and headed back to the front of the dance floor to his chair. What is up with him?

I sat down at Eric’s table and within a couple of minutes Pam came over and sat across from me. We talked like old friends for awhile, I told her about the new lingerie store at the Shreveport Mall and she agreed she would check it out the next time she was out shopping.

The line of adoring fans, or “vermin” as Pam so lovingly calls them, in front of Eric was growing longer by the minute. One particularly noticeable female had made her way to the front of the line and was being quite loud in her adoration for Eric. I tried to just push her out of my thoughts, but she was getting louder and louder and it was getting harder to ignore. Pam apparently noticed my frustration and her lip turned up in a devilish grin. “Something wrong Sookie?” She asked. I knew she was baiting me and I was not ready to give her the satisfaction of thinking I was in anyway bothered by the tramp.

“No, I’m good.” I said draining the last of my gin and tonic.

“You know, that’s the third time this week that cows been in here, human’s can be so persistent.” Pam continued her attempts to get me worked up, she thrived on drama but I was determined not to give in to her tonight.

“Well, you have to admire her taste, I mean look at him, who wouldn’t want him?” Touchdown! Score one for the away team.

Realizing I was not going to be a willing participant in her fun and games, she backed off. “Aw, Sookie, you know I’m just messing with you. Eric wouldn’t screw her with Bill’s dick!”

“Pam! That is enough!” Pam tried to look shocked by my reaction but within seconds we were both giggling hysterically at the visual image her comment had provided. About that time curiosity got the best of Mr. Northman and he strolled over to the table leaving the offending bovine standing in the middle of the dance floor cursing that she didn’t get “her time” with the Master. Without a glance in her direction, Eric threw his hand up back toward the girl and with a blink of an eye two vampires were at her side and had her silenced while quietly ushering her to the back corner of the bar. I wasn’t sure whether to be glad she was finally out of my line of sight or to be worried about what they were going to do to her.

“She’ll be fine, Lover.” Eric said sensing my concern. “They will buy her a few drinks and before the night is over she will be convinced she got everything she came for this evening.” OK, I was still not getting warm fuzzies from the incident, but I was determined not to dwell on those things tonight.

“Now, what have you two ladies been over here giggling like a couple of school girls about?” Eric wanted to get the conversation back on a more lighthearted topic.

“Nothing Master, just girl talk” Pam answered and we began snickering again.

“Alright” realizing he was not likely to get any where with that line of questioning, Eric moved on to another topic. “Pam, Sookie and I have reservations at 8:30, and we will not likely be back this evening. I know we have a larger than usual crowd, but I’m sure you are capable of taking care of things.”

“Yes Master, everything will be fine. You and Sookie enjoy your evening.” I knew Eric was not leaving Pam without back up, she had mentioned earlier that Eric had called in additional vampires for the evening to help “work the crowd”. Apparently one of the vampires summoned for duty was Bill as he strolled up to the table just as we stood up preparing to leave.

He gave a slight nod to Eric and then to Pam. You could see by the look on Pam’s face that she was still suppressing the urge to laugh and I could already tell it was going to be a very long night for Bill. “Sookie, you look…” please, please don’t describe me as food … as stunning as ever this evening.”

“Thank you Bill, Eric and I have plans this evening and I wanted to look nice.” Bill stiffened a little but smiled and gave me a small nod.

Eric took this as his cue to begin ushering me toward the door. “Compton, I trust you will assist Pam tonight with anything she needs for the bar.”

“Of course.” Bill replied.

Eric placed his hand on the small of my back and guided me toward the office and out the back employee entrance. Once I was in his car and safely buckled in, I was hit with an overwhelming wave of excitement through the bond. I knew that I was excited to be with him tonight but these feelings weren’t coming from me. “Eric, what’s going on, the feelings I’m receiving are like a child waking up to his presents on Christmas morning?”

“Lover, I’m just glad to be with you tonight, I’ve missed you and I have a very special evening planned for us.” He reached over and took my hand softly rubbing his thumb across the back of it.

“So, will you tell me where we are going now?”

“Certainly, we are going to a new restaurant that has recently opened down close to the waterfront. They cater to both human and supes and are rather exclusive. Then I thought we could take a walk down by the water if the weather remains cooperative or you may wish to go back to Bon Temps and show your gift off to your friends.”

Panic! Gift? Once again I was consumed by overpowering feelings, but these were all mine! Oh God, Oh God, what is he doing? It’s only been a few weeks; I’m not ready for that! Oh God, what am I going to tell him? OK, Relax girl, you can handle this. Breathe dammit. I was finally able to get myself under control and begin breathing normally again, I was grateful the he was driving and the car was dark, maybe he didn’t notice the panic stricken look on my face.

“Lover, are you OK? For a moment there it felt like you were going to spontaneously combust. Do you feel alright?”

“I’m fine; I guess I’m just excited about being with you too.”

“Well I don’t think your blood pressure can handle you getting that excited too often, so maybe you should save that for later this evening.” There went those damn eyebrows again.

“I’m fine, really.”

“Good, because we’re here.”

Eric pulled up to valet parking; the doorman opened my door while Eric got out and gave his keys and a tip to the attendant, which from the look on the attendant’s face must have been a really good one. Eric walked around the car, took my arm and headed for the entrance.

The Maitre D recognized Eric immediately. “Mr. Northman, welcome back, your table is ready, right this way.” Welcome back? I thought he said the restaurant recently opened. Just who else has he brought here?

“Welcome back, huh? Bring all your girls here do ya big boy?”Jealousy could take a Southern girl from belle to bitch in 3 seconds flat, and in that moment, belle had left the building.

“Relax Sookie; the owner is a friend of mine. I assisted him with getting this place open, and have been here many times on business. This is the first time I have been here for pleasure.” Alright, when you say pleasure like that …

Our waiter brought our menus over and I realized just how hungry I was. I had not eaten since the burnt offering of a bagel I had consumed late this morning and all of a sudden, I was starving. We placed our orders and I took a look around the room to take in the beautiful décor. The dining area was lit completely with what had to be thousands of tiny candles. They were every where, on the walls, hanging from ceiling in wrought iron fixtures and on free standing candelabras around the room. I could only imagine having the job of lighting them each night. The tables were rich dark woods and the chairs were soft dark leather high backs that helped to give the feel of privacy

“What do you think?”

“Eric it’s beautiful, I don’t think I’ve ever seen any place like this one. Thank you for bringing me here tonight.”

“Glad you like it, now eat your salad; you need to keep your strength up. I don’t want you passing out on me just yet.”

We spent the rest of our meal laughing, talking and enjoying a lighthearted evening together. For the first time in quite awhile, I had been able to completely let down my shields and not worry about having my mind violated by a barrage of jealous, narrow-minded, evil dealing thoughts. I was happy, truly happy.

I looked up at Eric and realized he must have been watching me sitting there with a psycho grin on my face. Yep Crazy Sookie is in the house! “Lover, I don’t know what you are thinking about, but with a look like that, I can only hope it’s me.”

“Who else?”

“Well, I have something I want to give you for our first Valentine’s Day together.”

Oh shit! Please, please don’t let this be what I think it is. Please no little boxes, not yet. It’s too soon! I could feel myself beginning to panic. Things had been going so well, I was happy with the relationship the way it was. Why couldn’t things just stay the same for awhile? Not that I didn’t love Eric and see a future with him, but I was just not ready for everything that would go along with that level of commitment.

“Sookie, I wanted you to have something that would tell everyone that saw it how special you are to me; I want every time you look at it shining there, that you feel the love and appreciation that I have for you.”

“I know how you are about gifts, but I hope on this special occasion, you will accept this in the spirit and love in which it is given”.

He began to slowly reach in his coat pocket and I could feel the biggest rush of panic I have ever experienced. Oh God, please let him pull a toaster out of his pocket. I need a toaster. Eric pulled out the box and pushed it across the table to me. Well, there’s no damn way there’s a toaster in there.

I took a deep breath and slowly opened the box; nothing could have prepared me for what was inside. Eric had given me a key chain! Not your average ordinary key chain; this was a stunning platinum key chain with two small tear drop rubies embedded in it. I would have laughed at the corniness of the sentiment had it not been for the beauty of it. Do they even make platinum key chains? Eric had to have had this made especially for me. Engraved on the front were two words that up until the last few weeks would have made my blood boil, but tonight Be Mine where two of the sweetest words I had ever heard.

I began to giggle. The relief that there had not been jewelry in the box was consuming me and all I could do was giggle.

“Well that was not quite the reaction I was expecting, but at least it appears you are happy with my gift. I must say, you never cease to amaze me Lover.”

“Oh Eric, I’m sorry. It’s beautiful, certainly unexpected, but beautiful nonetheless.”

“Well, I am pleased that it pleases you.”

“It does, again thank you, I love it.”

“Good, then let’s get out of here so I can show it to you.”

“Oh, you want to show it to me now?”

“Of course, aren’t curious to know what color it is?”

Wait! What? “Eric what are you talking about?”

“Your gift. Don’t you even want to know what color it is?”

I grabbed the box again and opened it back up. I had been so stunned by the keychain and relieved that there was not a ring in the box, I had completely overlooked the set of BMW keys beneath the key chain. Eric had bought me a car!

Damn Vampires. I just wanted a toaster!