Saturday, August 22, 2009

Heart's Desire Ch 15

Chapter 15

SPOV

“I’ll be right there.” I yelled to respond to the firm knock on the front door. I took a quick visual sweep of the room to see if there was anything I was overlooking. With nothing obvious forgotten I grabbed my bag of toiletries and headed down the stairs mentally running through my packing list. For Pete’s sake it’s just Shreveport, if you forgot something you can always come back and get it.

Just as I reached the bottom of the stairs the phone rang. I almost let it go to voice mail when I noticed Amelia was the caller.

“Do you miss me already?” I asked without even saying hello.

“You know I do; what am I going to do for the next two weeks without you?” She joked.

“Probably have loud monkey sex all over my house with my mechanic.”

“Well you know I will do anything I can to get you a good discount.”

“That’s my girl. Look I’m sure you didn’t call me just to tell me all the ways you plan to defile my house in my absence what’s up?”

“Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Eric left here a little while ago and I was to call you and let you know he was on the way.”

“Well your timing is impeccable because the cab pulled up 3 minutes ago and I’m running up the meter even as we speak.”

“Sorry Sook, I got slammed right after we got him in the car and this was the first moment I had to call.”

“No problem, believe me I have a new appreciation for your duties at the hospital. I was all packed and ready so it’s no biggie, but look, I’m costing him money now, so I better go.”

“Somehow I don’t think money is an issue for Mr. Northman, but anyway…you go have fun and call me if you need anything. Love ya girl!”

“Love you too.”

“And Sookie…”

“Yeah?”

“It’s not a cab.” And the line went dead. OK that was rude.

I opened the door to begin apologizing to the cab driver when I was silenced by the presence of a chauffeur. Do they really dress like that?

“I’m so sorry to keep you waiting; my phone rang right after you knocked.”

“It’s no problem. Ms. Stackhouse?” He asked confirming my identity.

“Yes.”

“I’m Clancy; I’ll be your driver today. Is this all you have?” He asked pointing to the bags by the door.

“Yes, that’s it.” Suddenly I felt a little awkward about my lack of wardrobe. It hadn’t escaped my notice while packing that once my uniforms were removed from the mix, it didn’t leave much else. A few pairs of shorts, a few tanks and a hand full of sundresses and I was all set for the summer, why was I feeling self conscious about it now?

Clancy carried my bags to the car while I locked up the house, by the time I got to the car he was there with the door open for me. I stepped into the car and was greeted by that gorgeous set of sapphire eyes.

“Hello good looking.” I offered my best sexy voice.

“Hello Beautiful.” OK, his sexy voice was better.

“I wasn’t expecting a limo.” I said as I took a seat beside him trying not to sound too small town.

“Well your house is not on Greyhound’s bus route.” He smirked.

“Smart ass.”

“I’m only messing with you.” He said while putting his arm around me and pulling me to him. “Clancy has been my driver for years, he was more than happy to come pick us up today.”

“But Eric, I thought… the accident…” I couldn’t find an easy way to phrase my delicate question.

“It was Pam’s driver that died in the accident.” He said softly.

“I’m sorry Eric; I didn’t mean to bring the accident up.” I said mentally kicking myself for bringing up the topic.

“It’s ok, if I’m going to resume my life; I am going to have to learn to deal with the subject.” He tenderly patted my leg trying to reassure me.

“Well you know I am here for you if you need to talk.” I put my hand on his and gently squeezed trying to offer my own reassurance.

“I know and I’m glad you’re here. Not just here,” he said while wagging his finger back and forth to signify the two of us, “but here.” His hand now moving in a sweeping motion to indicate being in his car. “It means a lot to me.”

“I’m glad I’m here too.”

We sat there quietly for a few minutes just enjoying being together then his grip on my shoulder tightened.

“Do you know how excited that I am that you are coming to stay with me? I’m so glad you agreed to this, I can’t tell you much I’ve been looking forward to having you in my home.”

“Having me Mr. Northman?” I raised an eyebrow mimicking his classic look.

“Well that was not exactly what I meant just now, but I have to admit the idea of you in my bed and me waking up next to you is certainly appealing.”

We hadn’t really talked about sleeping arrangements for this trip and while there was definitely attraction between us and I believe a fair amount of sexual tension, so far he had really made no advances aside from kissing. I really didn't know what to expect.

“Oh I see, you pay me to come to Shreveport just so you can have your way with me.” I was joking when I started the sentence but as the words came out of my mouth the realization hit me. Oh my God, what does that make me? I can’t do this!

“What? Wait…NO!” Eric was clearly upset by the unintentional implied accusation. “You know I wouldn’t do that!” He pushed me away slightly so that he could turn and face me.

“Look Sookie, I’ve told you already, I don’t play games. If you will recall, I offered to pay for your car repairs before any mention of vacation or you coming to Shreveport with me. It wasn’t until you turned down my offer for help that I suggested the compromise.” He paused trying to regain his composure. “I don’t care if you don’t share my bed when we get to my home as long as the reason is because you’re not ready not because of some idiotic notion that I am trying to pay you to sleep with me.”

“Listen Sookie you’re my girlfriend. I would gladly pay for your car repairs, buy you a new car…hell, I’d even buy the garage and have the repairs done for free, if you would let me. But you won’t. You will bend over backwards for everyone else and give the shirt off your back to anyone in need, but you have one hell of a time accepting jack shit from anyone else.”

I couldn’t stop the tears from pooling at his words. It was true, but it didn’t make the sting any less painful to hear it. My friends were always complaining that I had giving down pat, it was receiving I needed to work on. It was just so hard for me not to equate receiving with weakness and that made me feel dependent. Wait, did he say girlfriend?

Eric continued. “I want this perfectly clear, I am paying you so I don’t have to remodel my house in order to accommodate a wheelchair or walker in my closet or upfit my bathroom with the latest handicap accessories and so I don’t have to abide some stranger assisting me with choosing my clothes, helping me with the shower or getting me in bed at night. I'm paying you to help me with all that. ANYTHING else you choose to do will not be compensated for from me. Agreed?” He asked while wiping the tear that had escaped off my cheek.

“Agreed. I’m sorry, I overreacted.”

“Sookie, there’s nothing to apologize for. I’ve told you before and I meant every word; I do not play games and I will never lie to you. If you’re ever unsure of something or if you ever doubt my motives, just talk to me, I will tell you anything you want to know. I promise.” He reached across and grabbed my waist and carefully pulled me into his lap. While one arm snaked around my back allowing his hand to rest on my hip. His other hand was softly rubbing my cheek.

“Look at me Love.” I raised my eyes to meet his, the emotion so overwhelming I almost had to look away again. He pulled my face closer, his lips first ghosting gently across my cheek with a feather light touch. Softly he kissed my lips lingering just a second before pulling back and doing it again. Suddenly his lips settled on my bottom lip biting tenderly to take it into his mouth and I could hear bells. Bells?

“Shit!” Eric said. Shit indeed.

“I’m sorry Sookie; I’ve been waiting for this call. I have to take it.” He apologized and I nodded while sliding off his lap and returning to the spot on the seat beside him. Well this is new, never had his job get in the way before.

I stared out the window while he conducted his business on the phone.

“Eric Northman” he said as he answered the phone.

“Yes… OK go ahead” I couldn’t help but notice the change in the tone of his voice while he was talking business.

“No, I’m sorry that’s unacceptable. I’m afraid our terms for this agreement are non-negotiable, either this offer is accepted with the stipulations set forth, or the bid is rescinded and you will have to get out of your current situation by some other means.”

I sat there stunned. This was a side of Eric I had never seen before. His tone was non-threatening but he spoke with such confidence and authority that I was convinced that whoever was on the other end of that phone was a fool if they failed to accept the offer. I wanted to turn my head back to the window, to at least give the illusion of privacy but I couldn’t do it. I was captivated. More than that, I was turned on. It was bad enough that the call interrupted what had the beginnings of a great make out session, but now to see him in “business mode” was just plain HOT! All I could do was stare.

“That’s reasonable, I would expect no less. I look forward to hearing from you soon.” He said while ending his call.

“I’m sorry Sookie, I really needed to take that call. Um are you ok?”

I had gotten so wrapped up in my little fantasy that it took me a second to realize he was back talking to me.

“Yeah Eric, I’m fine.”

“You don’t look fine, you look…well honestly you look hot and bothered.”

“Well Eric, I’ve got to be honest, Executive Northman is DAMN SEXY!” I blushed at my confession but quickly realized by the huge smile that took over his face that I may soon regret it.

“So…Executive Northman turns you on, huh?” He said while turning his body to face me.

Oh yeah, I was going to regret it. “Uh huh” was the best I could do.

“Good, I’m glad to hear that. I was afraid maybe you only had a thing for Patient Northman, I’m glad to know the rest of us have a shot too.”

“Well just how many other Northmans are there?”

“Umm…well aside from Patient Northman that you know well and Executive Northman that you just met…I guess there’s only one more.” Eric said while moving closer to me.

“And who is that pray tell.”

“Horny Boyfriend Northman” He laughed while grabbing me and pulling me quickly back to his lap.

I pretended to struggle against the attack from his lips for a nano second before giving in and doing some attacking of my own.

Our kissing grew more and more passionate. My hands explored his chest and back while his roamed my back and hips.

“How much privacy do we have here?” I asked between kisses, surprising even myself with my boldness.

Eric stopped for a moment. “As far as privacy goes, I can guarantee you I have spent a small fortune outfitting this vehicle for just that. Too many deals are made here for me not have taken steps to be certain of privacy. I can also assure you that whatever fantasy about this limo you have running through your pretty little head right now, as well as some that are running through mine will be played out with enthusiasm in the future. But not today.”

I was stunned by his words. Again, I slid off of his lap back to the seat beside him. I know I’m not an idiot, I know I haven’t misread his signals. Have I? Maybe everything wasn’t quite healed from the accident. No, that’s not it; you’ve seen the evidence proving that works. Hell there’s evidence of that now. Once again my face betrayed my thoughts.

“Listen to me Love, I want you so bad right now it hurts.” He said while grabbing my hand and placing over the still evident bulge in his pants. His eyes closed briefly at my touch. “Do you feel that? That’s because of you…you do this to me. Sookie, it has taken every ounce of restraint I have these last few weeks not to just grab you and have my way with you. But you’re more important to me than that. You mean more to me than anyone else I’ve ever met before in my life and I will be damned if our first time to be together is going to be in a hospital bed or the back of my damn limo!” I grabbed his face with both of my hands and kissed him hard as his arms once again encircled my waist.

We rode for awhile kissing and chatting about anything that came to mind.

“So what’s in the box?” I asked pointing to the banker’s box on the seat facing us.

“Those are applications from various non-profits and charitable organization requesting donations. We have a certain amount of money we give to some of the better known charities, but we also feel that there are some smaller lesser known programs that merit donations as well so they go through an application process.”

“So how do you decide?”

“Well we review the applications, go online and see what people are saying about the organizations and make sure things are on the up and up and then choose from those. We take the selection process very seriously; we feel any money we give to an organization that was unworthy is money that is not going to one that is. We’re already about to the end of the second quarter and selections have not yet been made for this year yet. This is something Pam always took care of so my company has waited for me to decide what to do.”

I could hear the sadness in his voice and knew that this was just going to be one of the many things over the next few weeks and months that he was going to encounter like this. I could only hope that in time it got easier for him.

“Eric, do you think maybe I could take a look at them?” I regretted the suggestion as soon as it left my lips. I could tell by the look on his face that I had overstepped my bounds.

“Eric, I’m sorry. Just forget I asked, I didn’t mean to…” He put his finger to my lip to stop my chatter as a smile broke out across his face.

“Stop apologizing. I think it is a great idea! I’m just sorry I didn’t think of it. You would be perfect for this.” He pulled me into a quick hug and then immediately started pushing buttons on his Blackberry. After a few seconds, he finished whatever he was doing on the phone and hugged me again.

Eric and I were in deep discussion about the donation process neither of us realizing we had made it to Shreveport until Clancy interrupted us.

“Mr. Northman, do you wish to make any stops before going home?”

“No Clancy, home is fine. Thank you.”

I was getting excited now and could tell Eric was too. I was staring out the window trying to get some idea of my location. We drove for another five or ten minutes then I felt Eric stiffen and I knew we must be close.

We pulled up to a gate. Clancy rolled down his window and entered a code on the keypad and the gate began to open. I was flitting from side to the other not knowing which one was going to offer the best vantage point.

“Love, would you like me to just open the sun roof so you can stick your head out for an unobstructed view?” He smirked.

Damn he could be smug. “Shut it Northman, I’m just eager to see where you live that’s all.”

“Well Love,” he said while leaning over me and pointing out the window, “here we are.”

OH MY GOD!

“Eric, maybe you better tell me exactly what you do for a living.”

Eric just laughed.

TBC