Saturday, August 22, 2009

Heart's Desire Ch 27

Chapter 27

EPOV

What the hell is that? I thought as the strange noise pulled me reluctantly from my sleep. Lying there facing Sookie I saw her eyes flutter open when the sound came again from the other end of the house.

“Nava’s here.” Sookie said excitedly and I returned her smile.

Last night with a little coaxing, Sookie was able to talk Tara into picking up the baby from the relatives that were babysitting and bringing her here to spend the day with everyone and I had to admit I was kind of looking forward to seeing her.

“What?” I asked. Sookie was staring at me like I had grown another head overnight.

“I don’t know…it’s just…well most men would be a little weirded out by the presence of a baby.”

“First of all, I’m not most men.”

“You’ll get no argument from me there.” Sookie mumbled more to herself than to me.

“Secondly, I’ve always liked children. I’ve never really been around many, but I’ve always enjoyed them. Nava, is that how you say her name?” I asked clarifying the pronunciation “will be the youngest one I’ve ever been around, but I’m kind of looking forward to meeting her.”

I had barely gotten the sentence out of my mouth when Sookie lunged forward aiming her mouth straight for mine before stopping abruptly and covering her mouth with her hand.

“Oh sorry, I almost forgot…morning breath.”

“Oh hell no! You little tease…I don’t give a damn what you think your breath smells like or what I’m sure mine smells like, we’re just going to have to deal with it!” I said before crushing my lips to hers.

Morning breath my ass. I could not get enough of this woman. We rolled around on the bed kissing for a few minutes before finally coming up for air.

“I love you Eric Northman.” She said breathlessly.

“Really? You didn’t change your mind overnight?”

“Never.”

“I may hold you to that.”

“I’m counting on it.”

I grabbed her and pulled her back down on the bed for another quick round of kisses until we heard another cry from the living room.

“Come on Ms. Stackhouse, let’s get a quick shower and go greet our latest guest.”

o~O~o~O~o

While Sookie was still getting dressed I made my way to the kitchen to find something for breakfast and to get a cup of coffee. Almost everyone was up milling around in the kitchen, munching on muffins, fruit and bagels and arguing over who was going to get the last cup before another pot of coffee was made.

“So where is our new guest?” I asked JB as he scooped the coffee into the filter of the maker obviously conceding to the birthday boy and making the next pot.

“Tara just went upstairs to change her. I hope her crying didn’t wake you guys up.” He said apologetically.

“Nah, we were up just too lazy to get moving, hearing her announce her arrival was all the motivation it took to finally get out of bed.” I lied trying to put his concerns to rest.

Once the coffee finished brewing, I poured a cup for me and one for Sookie, grabbed a muffin for her and we all headed out to the lanai. A few minutes later Tara and Sookie walked outside to join us and I was witness to the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. Sookie was holding Nava who had snuggled herself into the curve of neck and was sleeping peacefully.

When picturing my future, I always saw myself with a wife and children…several children. Probably in part due to the sometimes isolated feeling I had growing up. Understand, I loved my sister but the age difference between us seldom lent itself to being playmates and then after the death of my parents her role swiftly changed to that of guardian rather than sibling. I wanted children but I desperately wanted my children never to experience that void.

Strangely enough seeing her with Nava makes me realize that I have all these plans and dreams worked out in my own head yet it’s a topic Sookie and I have never broached. While I was in the hospital she often joked about her lack of babysitting experience which was blamed as the reason for the pudding winding up splattered on my chest. But did that mean she didn’t want kids? I mean I was really never around children, yet I knew I wanted several; could this be the true for her too?

“Eric, are you ok?” Sookie asked shaking me from my internal conversation.

“I’m fine Love. How is this little treasure? I see she has found my favorite spot to nuzzle.” I said stepping behind her to get a better look at the face of the tiny angel but catching a glimpse of a beautiful blush from Sookie.

I put my hands on the tops of her arms, afraid of disturbing the baby if I were to wrap my arms around her. I put my head close to hers and whispered “you will make a wonderful mother” before placing a soft kiss on her cheek and feeling the tiny quiver that shook Sookie’s body.

We all sat around the table chatting, some nursing hangovers from the night before but no one in a real hurry to swim, ride Jet Ski or do anything else.

“Eric, could I speak to you in the other room for a moment.” Jason asked, nudging my arm. I admit the seriousness of Jason’s request had me a little concerned.

“Sure, we can go in the library.” I said as we excused ourselves from the others.

We silently walked to the library, I pointed to a chair suggesting he take a seat as I closed the door behind us.

“This room is so formal, I kinda feel funny in here in my t-shirt and shorts.” Jason commented and I could hear a little reservation in his voice.

“Nonsense.” I tried to put him at ease. “Sit.” I said while throwing my leg over the arm of the chair hoping to make him realize this was just another room in my house. He chuckled a little and took a seat in the leather chair across from me but didn’t say anything else.

“So, what’s on your mind?” I asked not knowing which was stronger, me wanting him to be comfortable around me or the shear curiosity of what he wanted to talk about.

“First of all, I just wanted to say thank you for this weekend and opening your home to all of us. This has been a fucktastic birthday for me and I’m sure I speak for everyone when I tell you we’ve had a great time.”

“You’re welcome. You guys being here has meant a lot to Sookie and I have enjoyed getting to know all of you.”

“Yeah, well Sookie is the other reason I wanted to talk to you.” Ah, I was wondering when we would get to the big brother talk.

“Normally this is the time when I would ask you what your intentions were with my sister and then go in to this long speech about how if you hurt her will stop at nothing to hurt you, but for some reason I don’t feel like all that is necessary with you.”

I’m sure my expression was somewhere between grateful and curious. Grateful that he didn’t feel the need, yet curious as to why.

“Don’t get me wrong,” he continued. “I will still hurt you if you hurt her, but yet somehow I feel that if she were hurt you would be hurting too.” He paused gathering his thoughts. “Look, Sookie loves her friends and loves to have a good time but until this weekend, I’m ashamed to say, I’ve never really seen her happy and I’m pretty sure you’re the reason for that.” I couldn’t help but smile at the accusation.

“And although I didn’t know you before this weekend, I can’t help but feel she has had a similar impact on you. I can tell you care as deeply for her as she does you…I mean…hell, the way you handed Malcolm his ass for disrespecting her was evidence enough. I could hear in your voice that you really loved her. And the fact that she allowed you to stand up for her in that manner told me she really loved you.”

“You’re a good man Northman, and it has nothing to do with all this.” He moved his arms in a sweeping motion to indicate our surroundings. “Because all this matters not a damn to Sookie, she would have fallen in love with you if you lived in a ‘van down by the river’ if you were who she was supposed to be with.”

I laughed at his reference and nodded my head because I knew he was right, my possessions meant nothing to her. Hell she admitted that she cared for me long before she ever knew whether I owned a damn thing and after years of women throwing themselves at me for either what I could give them or the status being with me brought, the satisfaction of that knowledge could not be described.

“Don’t get me wrong, the fact that you do have all this makes me as her brother, very happy.” Jason continued. “Happy in knowing that as long as my sister is with you that she will be taken care of, although it’s doubtful she will allow you to take care of her in the manner in which you wish and I think she deserves.” He sort of mumbled that last part and we both chuckled in agreement that Sookie would never allow me to give her everything that I wanted her to have.

Suddenly he stopped laughing and looked up at me.

“She’s not coming back home is she?” He asked very somberly.

“I hope not.” I answered honestly hoping I was not betraying Sookie by discussing this without her knowledge or permission.

“I didn’t think so.” His response both excited me and upset me. While I was thrilled that he obviously felt I had a chance at getting Sookie to stay here with me, it was also painful to see the hurt he was feeling having his sister, his one last relative, move away.

“We’re not that far away, Jason.” I tried to console. “I would make sure she got the chance to visit often, and I hope you know that you and your friends are always welcome here.”

“What will she do here? Because you know Sookie would never just sit around and play house. ”

“Believe me, I know.” I offered. “And while it would be perfectly ok with me if that is what she chose to do, the fact that she wouldn’t is one of the things I love about her. But in answer to your question, I have offered her a job in my company. She has actually already been working on restructuring our charitable contribution process within the corporation and I would like to expand those responsibilities. We have also discussed her going back to school.”

As soon as I said the last sentence, I felt the need to clarify it and from the look on Jason’s face, he needed clarification.

“Don’t look at me like that.” I scolded. “I love your sister EXACTLY as she is! Going back to school is something she suggested when I was in the hospital, it wasn’t my idea…I don’t give a fuck whether she goes back to school or not. Look, Sookie is a smart, beautiful, caring woman and the only thing I want to change about her is her address, but if she wants to do something like go back to school or pursue some other career, I will support her and do anything I can to make it happen.” I didn’t think now was the time to tell him about me wanting to change her name too, that could wait.

“Sorry man…it’s just…well you know.”

“Yeah, I know, but at the risk of sounding like a total wuss…I love your sister…more than I ever expected that it was possible to love another person and I intend on doing everything I can to make sure she has everything she needs and is happy for the rest of her life.”

“I know you will, but I these things needed to be said.”

We both nodded and sat silently for a few minutes before deciding to join the other back outside. As we got to the door of the library, Jason spoke up again.

“You know she’s all I have left.” The timbre of his voice betraying the depth of his emotions.

“I know man...me too.” I said and I patted his back as we walked out of the room.

o~O~o~O~o

Everyone spent the rest of the day lounging around and talking, it seemed the activities of the last couple of days and the pending end to the trip had quite the sobering effect on the atmosphere.

“How hard has it been getting back to work since being discharged from the hospital?” The question might have felt invasive if it had come from anyone other than Amelia.

“Well, I haven’t quite taken 100% responsibility of the company back yet, but we have some good people in the organization that are really good at their jobs so I don’t expect it will be difficult. It might not be easy at times and I would certainly much rather be running things the way Pam and I had planned, but this is what I would have expected her to do if the roles were reversed and what I believe she would want me to do.” I said trying to swallow the lump that had formed in my throat.

“I’m sorry Eric; I didn’t think my question through before I asked it.” She apologized.

“It’s ok; these are things I need to deal with sooner or later. I’ve been putting off dealing with her estate and things and the company wants to have a memorial service for her especially since I was in the hospital when she was buried, but it’s just hard to force myself to do these things.”

I didn’t know if talking about it would make it easier to deal with, but somehow just getting it out there did seem to lift some of the weight I had been carrying. It was hard not to feel guilty at times being so happy and in love with Sookie so soon after the death of my sister, but I knew Pam would want me happy and would want me to live my life with a memory of her but not in homage to her. A point Sookie had helped me see.

“Well I hope you know we’ll be there for you in any way we can, Eric. I’m afraid you’re stuck with us now.” She said and I knew she meant what she was saying.

“She’s right; we’re like stray cats that have found someone to feed us, we’ll be here rather you want us or not.” Tray added trying to lighten the mood a little.

“Did Pam have an assistant; can he or she help you with any of this?” Tara asked unaware of the total hell it would be on me to work with that woman in any capacity.

“She does have one, but I would rather not call on her, she and I don’t really work well together. I will work it out somehow without requiring her assistance.” I know they really didn’t need to hear my distaste for Pam’s assistant, but I trusted these guys and didn’t feel the need to hide my opinion.

“So if you don’t like her, what will happen to her job now that Pam’s gone?” Amelia asked and I wondered if she was just curious or whether she and Sookie had discussed Debbie previously.

I looked over at Sookie who was seated on my right at the end of the table. Although she was avoiding my gaze, I could see she was intently waiting on my answer.

“Well unfortunately I have no cause to let her go, so she will probably be reassigned to one of the other executives in the company; most likely John Quinn, our New Acquisitions VP.”

I looked over at Sookie expecting her to look relieved, but instead she looked as if she was trying to remember whether or not she turned off her curling iron.

“What’s wrong Love?” I leaned over and whispered.

She kind of shook her head as if to shake herself loose from whatever thought she was having.

“Nothing…I just feel like I’ve heard that name before…anyway…it doesn’t matter, it will come to me later.”

Soon it was time to say our goodbyes and although I was glad to be getting Sookie all to myself again, I was going to miss having these guys around. I was glad when they accepted my invitation to visit again over the upcoming July 4th holiday but I made sure the invitation was only given to the established couples and Hoyt and Jason. When the time came, they could decide for themselves whether to invite Malcolm and Dawn, while I no longer harbored any ill feelings toward Malcolm, I couldn’t see myself giving him the invitation personally.

“Seriously Eric, if you need any of us for anything, please call. We really are here for you.” Amelia said before hugging me good bye.

“It’s true man, call us if you need anything.” Hoyt added as he shook my hand and then climbed into the back of the limo.

Sookie and I stood there for a few minutes waving to the cars as they pulled away. She had been extremely quiet for the last few hours and I feared her desire to leave and go home was growing.

“I can’t tell you how thankful I am for everything you did this weekend for Jason and my friends.” She said wrapping her arms around my waist.

“Sookie stop thanking me. I told you, I want this home to be your home; I want you to feel free to invite family and friends over anytime you wish. Besides, I honestly enjoyed them being here.” I said placing a kiss on her forehead.

“You really mean that don’t you?” She pulled back to look up at my face.

“That I enjoyed them being here? Of course I did.” I responded, wondering if anything I did this weekend made her feel otherwise.

“No, the part where you want this to be my home too.” She said diverting her eyes to the ground.

I put my finger under her chin gently forcing her face toward mine.

“Yes Sookie. I want you here with me…all the time…permanently…forever.” I wanted there to be no mistaking exactly what I wanted.

“Good, because I don’t think I want to go back to Bon Temps. I think I want to stay here with you.”

As much as I wanted to pick her up like a prize I had won and run screaming though the house, I had to contain myself. She didn’t say she was moving in, she said she thought this was she wanted.

“You ‘think’?”

“I’m sorry, bad choice of words. What I should have said was…it is my heart’s desire to stay here with you.” She said smiling overly dramatic.

I thought my chest was going to explode. I had lived in fear all weekend that the time with her family and friends was going to persuade her to return home and now that she was saying she wanted to stay, I was reeling from the surprise.

“Well, when you put it like that…” I said as I picked her up and carried her through the doorway and back to the bedroom.

“Ms. Stackhouse, do you have any idea just how happy you have made me this weekend?” I said as I placed her on the bed.

“Well if it is a fraction of how happy you have made me then I say we are two happy souls right now.” She said as she began kissing and pulling me down beside her.

Our kisses were becoming more urgent with each passing moment and my cock grew with each moan that escaped from her. With one hand I pushed her shirt up and began rubbing circles over her abdomen and up across her ribs while one of her hands wrapped around my board short covered dick.

She pulled away from me, her voice ragged with desire.

“I want to taste you.” She said and I almost came from the suggestion alone. I didn’t trust my voice so I just channeled my inner teenage boy and nodded so hard I could have shaken something loose.

I quickly shed my t-shirt and shorts while Sookie sat up, removed her shirt and bra then moved to the lower end of the bed. Without any teasing Sookie swiftly and firmly grabbed my now pulsating cock and pumped it twice before slipping it in to her hot little mouth. I arched my back and grabbed the bed covers not trusting myself to touch her without gripping her too hard just yet. I began to groan as her mouth, after a few trips up and down my now slick shaft, pulled away and began sucking my balls.

“Oh fuck!” I said willing myself to adjust to the sensation so that I could become a more active participant in this party but reluctantly realizing it wasn’t going to happen.

“I need to feel you inside me.” Sookie said sitting up and quickly stripping off her remaining clothes.

Once her panties were off, I reached for her core to make sure she was ready for me only to have my hand brushed away.

“No, no fingers. I want your cock. Now!”

“Yes ma’am.” Was all I could get out before she propelled herself forcefully down on me, taking me completely inside of her all in a single stroke.

We both knew we weren’t going to last long and with just a few strokes we were each yelling the other’s name as we both reached our peaks.

“God woman, I love you.” I said between panting.

“I love you too.” She said placing a tender kiss on my lips.

“You care to join me in the tub?” I didn’t think I had recovered enough to stand in the shower.

“Sounds good.” She said while crawling off the bed and following me into the bathroom.

I filled the tub adding the bath oils that Sookie liked and in just a few minutes we were inside soaking and bathing one another. Suddenly Sookie sat up and turned around.

“Oh my God Eric, I remember.”

“Remember what love?”

“John Quinn, I remember him!”

TBC