Saturday, August 22, 2009

Heart's Desire Ch 23

Chapter 23

EPOV

I was surprised by how accustomed I had become to waking with Sookie at my side and that realization came this morning when for the first time since returning home from the hospital, she was not there. I listened for sounds from the bathroom but instead heard the faint sounds of conversations from the other side of the house. As traumatizing my housekeeper was not on my agenda this morning, I quickly pulled on a pair of pajama bottoms and a tee shirt before making my way to the kitchen.

Sookie was already hard at work in the kitchen with what I gathered were more preparations for the weekend while Mrs. Hadley was standing in the doorway with her arms full of towels apparently on her way to disperse them upstairs.

“Good morning ladies.” I said as I approached.

“Good morning Mr. Eric.” Mrs. Hadley said smiling as she continued on her way.

“Well, look who’s up. How did you sleep?” Sookie looked up briefly from what she was doing and smiled before quickly turning her attention back to whatever she was working on.

I walked over to her and stood behind her wrapping my arms around her waist.

“Fine, but I missed you this morning.” I said leaning around her to steal a kiss only to be offered a cheek rather than my intended target. OK, this is new.

“I know, I’m sorry, but I still had quite a few things I need to finish up on this morning.”

“No problem. I’m going to take a shower, care to join me?”

“Um sorry, I’ve already had my shower…besides, I kinda have my hands full right now.” She gave me a semi apologetic smile then continued her duties.

“Anything I can help you with?”

“No thanks. I’ve got it.”

“OK…well…I’ll leave you to your work. Let me know if you decide there is anything I can help with.”

I didn’t bother attempting another kiss deciding my ego could not handle another rejection this morning.

I was in and out of the shower before I even realized it, my mind more occupied with trying to rationalize the events that had transpired this morning. I knew she was both excited and nervous about her friends coming and I was trying hard to convince myself that was the reason for the change in her this morning, which probably would have been easier if we had not had conversation we had last night. While I consider myself to be relatively self-confident at least in business matters, I had to admit this was uncharted waters for me and currently I was adrift.

I spent most of the morning in the library working, stepping out only to accept the liquor delivery and the delivery of the Sea Doos.

“Eric, I thought you already have two jet skis, why are they delivering more?” Sookie said after walking outside to see what had been delivered.

“Two was not enough for this size crowd.” I defended.

“Eric, two would have been plenty, everyone would just have to take turns.”

“Sookie, they’ll still have to take turns, just not as often now.”

“Sounds like a waste of 20 grand if you ask me.” She mumbled as she headed back in the house shaking her head.

More like 40 grand, but let’s just keep that between us.

The tension between us continued to grow all morning and by the time our guest were to arrive; I was frankly a little worried. After finishing what I had been working on in the library I came out and found Sookie pacing in the foyer.

I approached her somewhat timidly but was relieved when she slipped into my arms without hesitation.

“Sookie what’s wrong?”

“I’m sorry Eric; I guess I’m just nervous.”

“What are you nervous about? I’m the boyfriend meeting the family for the first time.” It was a joke but not without some truth.

“I remember how overwhelmed I felt when I first got here. I just want them to give you a chance and get to know the real you and not just see all this.” She said sweeping her arm to indicate all the stuff around her.

Just then Mrs. Hadley entered the room.

“Mr. Eric, Clancy has just called from the gate, they’re on their way up.”

“Thanks Mrs. Hadley.” I said to her as she retreated back to the kitchen.

“Sookie, do you have some reason to believe that they won’t like me?”

“No.”

“Then I don’t understand what the concern is. What did they say when you told them we were together?”

“Well…I…um haven’t told them yet.” Sookie said, turned, and opened the front door to walk outside without offering any further explanation.

What the hell?

I followed Sookie out the door, my mind spinning with her last words. Admittedly our relationship was a little unconventional. I mean it’s not like we’ve actually dated, but that didn’t make the feelings invalid or us any less legitimate. Did it?

I walked over to stand behind Sookie and placed my hands on her hips an action so natural that it would have gone unnoticed by me had she not stepped away. Again I tried to swallow down the insecurity that I had been struggling with and decided if Boyfriend Northman was having a rough day then Executive Northman would just have to step up and play host for awhile.

Clancy pulled the car up to the front of the house leaving room for the car carrying Sookie’s other friends that dropped their baby off with relatives in Shreveport to pull up behind. Clancy got out of the car and came around, but before he could get there, the door flew open and a man whom I could only assume was her brother jumped out.

“Sis!” He yelled as he ran to her, grabbed her up and spun her around.

“Happy Birthday, Jase.” She said in between giggles.

One by one they crawled out of the cars each making their way over to greet Sookie with a hug. I stood back smiling and nodding, briefly feeling like a stranger in my own home until finally a familiar face. Amelia, rather than fight the crowd gathered around Sookie, headed my way.

“Eric…God…I can’t believe how much better you are in just a week.” She said while offering a hug.

“Well, I’ve still got a ways to go, but I’m getting better every day.” I said smiling at how easily our relationship had changed. She had been the epitome of professionalism during my stay at the hospital taking her volunteer responsibilities as serious as if she were the highest paid employee there. I respected that. I had solicited her assistance several times during my stay and while she never offered any advice or insight when it came to Sookie, her silent approval was heard loud and clear.

While talking to Amelia out of the corner of my eye I caught site of another guy jumping out of the car and running up to Sookie, grab and pick her up. OK, I’ve seen the brother, if this isn’t a cousin or something, he needs to back the fuck off!

“God I’ve missed you Sweetheart.” He said spinning her around. Sweetheart??

“It’s only been a week.” She responded, her face concealing any sentiment one way or another about the greeting.

“OK everybody.” Sookie said trying to extract herself from his embrace and trying to get everyone’s attention.

“Let’s get introductions out of the way. Eric this…I’m sure you gathered, is my brother Jason and his date Dawn.”

“Hey man, nice to meet you. Thank you for sponsoring this little field trip for this group of misfits.” Jason said offering his hand.

“My pleasure, I’m glad you all could come.”

“And this is Tara and her husband JD. Tara’s giving birth was reason I was in the hospital the day I met you.” She reminded me as Tara stepped forward to give me a hug.

“Well Tara, may I say welcome and thank you.” She smiled and gave me a wink.

“This,” Sookie continued “is Hoyt and I’m not sure where his date is…” Sookie gave Hoyt a questioning look that was answered by a “don’t ask” glare by the entire party.

An embarrassed Hoyt reached out to shake my hand. “Hey man.”

“Hello.” I said with a nod.

“You already know Amelia and I think you just met her boyfriend Trey.” We all nodded to each other.

“And this is Malcolm.” Her mouth said ‘Malcolm’, but my ears heard ‘Asshole’ and I couldn’t help but notice he had to remove his hand from Sookie’s waist to extend it to me to shake.

“Good to meet ya man.” The asshole said.

“And everyone…” Sookie continued, “this is Eric Northman.” What? …That’s it?... No, this is ‘my boyfriend’…’the love of my life’? OK, that last one may have been stretching it, but come on throw me a bone here.

“Welcome. I’m glad you all could make it this weekend. Why don’t we go inside, and we’ll show you guys around.”

During our introductions, Clancy had stacked all the suitcases on the steps, so everybody grabbed their bags and we made our way inside.

Amelia was the first to comment. “Eric, your home is beautiful!”

“Yeah, no kidding man this is fucking awesome.” Said Jason and they all began to chime in.

“Damn Northman, well it’s no wonder you were able to get my girl here to haul her cookies all the way to Shreveport.” WHAT THE HELL??

I was trying to be a good host, but Asshole was making it difficult. I searched Sookie’s face for some sort of reaction but her only response was to roll her eyes.

“Whatever asshole.” She said. See, I knew his name was Asshole!

“Well, why don’t we show everyone to their rooms so they can change into their suits and then we can head out to the pool or lake?”

“Yeah Baby, where will we be sleeping tonight?” Asshole said putting his arm around Sookie’s waist yet again while I wondered whether or not he could still perform his job, whatever that was, with only one arm.

“Well, you are sleeping in the pool house with Hoyt and, just like any other night, where I sleep is none of your business.”

Yes, I would have rathered her response been more along the lines of ‘you will be back in Bon Temps and I will be fucking the brains out of my rich sexy boyfriend’, but hey, I’ll take what I can get right now.

We introduced everyone to Mrs. Hadley in case they needed anything and then she and Sookie took the couples upstairs while I directed Asshole and his apparently newly dumped friend to the pool house.

I was already dressed for the pool so while everyone else changed, I plugged my IPod in to the sound system then made myself busy opening up the bar outside. I knew Sookie was probably in the room now changing, and I was full of questions from all the introductions earlier but now was not the time. Not while I was struggling internally with all my insecurities, something I had not experienced in an awfully long time not to mention my overwhelming desire to go to my pool house and beat the hell out of one of my guest.

Hoyt and Asshole were the first to make it out to the pool, soon the couples followed, and most wasted no time diving right in. Amelia and Trey made their way over to the bar; I poured them both drinks while we chatted about nothing in particular.

“Hey Northman,” Asshole said, “You might want to check Sookie’s bags for silver and shit before she leaves, it looks like she may have klepto tendencies.” This guy was really wearing on my nerves but I looked up to see what he was talking about and saw Sookie walking my way in one of my company league tee shirts she had claimed earlier in the week. Fuck me!

She came around the back of the bar and wrapped her arms around me and I tentatively put an arm around her. I waited for her to make the next move letting her set the pace in front of her friends but when she raised up on her toes to reach me I quickly wrapped both arms around her and pulled her to me for a searing kiss.

“I have waited all day to do that.” I whispered.

“I know, I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be.” I reassured her.

“You realize my name is plastered across your back, right?” She smiled and nodded.

“May as well be, it’s already across my heart.” She said quickly before kissing me again and sashaying away.

And damn could that girl sashay!

SPOV

I don’t know what I had been worried about, so far everybody loved him. Well, maybe not Malcolm but his opinion didn’t matter for shit anyway.

“You like him don’t ya sis?”

I had taken Jason and Dawn to my old room, well the room that held my suitcase for one night. Jason and I had walked out on the balcony while Dawn was busy unpacking and finding her swim suit.

“Of course I like him.”

“Don’t be dense Sookie, you know what I mean. You really like him, don’t you?”

“Yeah, I do.”

“Does he feel the same way?”

“I’m pretty sure he does.”

“Does he make you happy?”

“More than I thought was possible.”

“Then that’s all that matters Sook.”

“When did you become so damn romantic?”

“Aw, I have my moments.” He turned and pulled me to him.

“I love you Sookie, and I want to see you happy.”

“I know and I love you. Thanks big brother.”

Tara had offered pretty much the same sentiment. JD was on the phone with his family checking on the baby and Tara and I were standing at the window looking down on Eric at the poolside bar.

“Sookie girl that has got to be the finest specimen of masculinity I have ever laid a retina on.”

“Yeah, and he’s cute too, huh?” I said while bumping her hip with mine.

“Seriously girl, are you and he….ya know…together?”

“Yes, we are.”

“Oh Sookie, I am so happy for you.” She said grabbing me and squeezing me in a hug.

“Come on now. Let’s get out to the pool.” I’d had my fill of sap for the day I was ready to get the party started.

“Sookie, just one more question,” she whispered, “is he as good as he looks?”

“Better.”

By the time I got out to the pool, Eric had been on his feet for quite some time, so I talked him in to sitting with me for awhile while I got caught up on the news with Amelia and Trey.

“So fill me in, I thought Jessica was coming with Hoyt, what happened?” I asked Amelia and Trey began to snicker.

“Oh, she got caught by Bon Temps finest at the receiving end of Aussie Kisses.” Amelia answered trying not to be overheard by Hoyt.

“Aussie Kisses?” Eric asked.

“Yeah, they’re like French Kisses only they’re given…you know…down under.”

He smiled shaking his head at the term.

“So was she just too embarrassed to stay with him after they got caught?” I asked.

“Naw, you don’t understand” Trey interjected. “Hoyt wasn’t the one giving the kisses.”

Eric and I just shook our heads. Poor Hoyt.

As if he knew we were talking about him, he got out of the pool and came over to sit at the foot of the lounge.

“Hey Hoyt, sorry about Jessica, dude.” I said and gave him a reassuring pat on the back. Hoyt was a good guy who deserved to be treated better.

“Well you know…two tears in a bucket...” He said while shrugging his shoulders.

God I love it when rednecks quote drag queens!

Before long, everyone had gotten out of the pool and pulled chairs over bar side. To keep Eric from getting up and down, Trey and Amelia traded off playing bartender as both of them had experience and had even filled in at Sam’s on occasion.

The more the alcohol poured, the freer the stories about me flowed. It seemed everybody wanted to take this opportunity to make sure Eric knew every stupid or embarrassing story there was to know with Tara being the biggest traitor.

“Jason, tell Eric about Sookie singing in church.” She begged.

“Come on guys, give me a break.” I begged.

“Aw Sookie, let him tell it.” Now Eric was begging.

I just shook my head in defeat. Jason took that as his cue and began regaling everyone with the story.

“OK, it was right around Christmas time and Sookie was…I don’t know…probably 6 or 7 right Sook?” Jason asked.

I didn’t look at him my face already turning red, I just held up six fingers.

“Right 6, anyway, the Pastor had asked all the children in the congregation to come down to the front of the church and he began asking them different things like what they were thankful for, what they had learned in Sunday School and whether or not they had any special plans for the holidays. Anyway, after he had gone through all of his little questions, he asked if any of them wanted to sing Joy to the World and Sookie’s hand when up like a flash.”

“Well come on up to the microphone then Miss Sookie, he said as he lowered it so that it would be the right height for sis.” Jason continued.

“By now the church had gotten so quiet you could have heard a pin drop from the back row. Then Sookie steps up to her spot behind the microphone and puts one hand on it like she was born behind it, clears her throat, and then begins to wail… Jeremiah was a bull frog…was a good friend of mine…I never understood a single word he said, but I helped him drink is wine…and he always had a mighty fine wine.”

“The church went nuts, Gran didn’t know whether to laugh or cry. The Pastor is trying to get the microphone away from Sookie and she’s crying ‘but I haven’t got to the “joy to the world part” yet.”

As embarrassed as I was, when I looked up and saw Eric laughing harder than I had ever seen before will all my friends laughing just as hard alongside him, I knew two things.

1 - I loved Eric Northman.

2 - It was going to be a long night.